Christmas Dangers

Christmas is coming! With all the joy of the holidays it can be easy to forget about the dangers for your pets that also come with the season. Keep some of these tips in mind as you enter the holidays!

 

        1. Dogs love to unwrap Christmas presents! This is great fun on Christmas day, but before then, it can cause serious problems. Make sure not to put anything under the tree that your dog will be tempted to open. Anything that smells good will definitely catch their attention; like a nice leather wallet or belt, or yummy food, like chocolate.
        2. Poinsettias bring Christmas cheer wherever they are seen. However, it is important to know that these festive plants are very poisonous to your pets. Best to keep them far out of reach.
        3. Christmas decorations are always fun! Or are they? Be careful with light cords as dogs and puppies especially, love chewing on them. Keep cords in a protector or out of reach in some other way to prevent electrocution.
        4. Another common Christmas time hazard is tinsel. Tinsel can be very harmful if swallowed by your dog. Tinsel tangles up in animals’ intestines or punctures their sensitive organ walls.
        5. Often times during the holidays candy is left out in dishes on counters or low tables. Make sure these stay out of reach of your pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, and many candies are sweetened with xylitol; both of which can be fatal when ingested by our pets.
        6. With all the food at the table and those begging eyes looking up at you, it can be very tempting to give just a little human food to your pet. Don’t give in! Most of the food on the table will just upset your dog’s stomach.

 

Comments are closed.